Apricot Kernel Oil
Benefits of Apricot Kernel Oil
Apricot kernel oil, also known as prunus armeniaca kernel oil or apricot seed oil or sometimes simply apricot oil, is oil which has been extracted from the kernels (also known as seeds) of apricot fruits. Apricot kernel oil has numerous uses and benefits, ranging from cosmetic to health and much more in between. Some of the important beneficial chemical components found in apricot seed oil include oleic acids, linoleic acids, stearic acids, vitamin A, as well as Vitamin E. Let's take a closer look at some of the most notable apricot kernel oil benefits.
Apricot Kernel Oil for Skin
Apricot kernel oil for skin can provide a variety of appearance related benefits. Some of the most notable benefits of using apricot kernel oil for skin related issues include:
- Improving the softness of skin and helping reduce dry, rough skin appearance
- Improving the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines
- Improving the appearance of acne and other skin blemishes
- Helping to improve overall complexion
- Reducing excessively oily skin
- Helping improve the appearance of dry, crackled lips
- Improving strength of brittle fingernails and toenails
- Helping to reduce the appearance of scars and lesions
- Cleansing skin pores.
Apricot Seed Oil for Hair
Apricot kernel oil benefits are not limited to the skin. Apricot seed oil can also provide benefits for the hair, including the following notable benefits:
- Helping to lock-in moisture in dry hair
- Helping to stimulate new hair growth
- Reducing or eliminating dandruff
- Improving the softness of dry hair when used over time
- Soften hair with immediate application.
Other Apricot kernel Oil Benefits
Some of the other benefits associated with apricot seed oil include:
- Stimulated collagen production
- Improved wound healing, including the stimulation of skin cell regeneration
- Protection against bacteria in wounds
- Help with certain types of inflammation
- Help with certain types of joint stiffness and pain.
Is Apricot kernel Oil Safe to Use?
Yes! Apricot seed oil is safe to use on the skin and hair. Do not ingest apricot kernel oil--it is only intended to be used topically.
As with any type of natural oil, it is important to test out a small amount of product before you apply a larger amount to your skin or hair. Testing the product in an inconspicuous area, such as your inner elbow, will help determine if you are susceptible to rashes, irritation or other side effects that a small amount of people experience with certain types of natural oils.
If you are interested in reaping the benefits of natural oils but you are allergic to nuts, apricot seed oil is a great alternative to nut-derived oils such as sweet almond oil.
Apricot seed oil is an excellent natural oil that can provide many benefits for your skin and hair, in addition to some practical uses such as helping to speed up wound healing. If you are interested in using apricot seed oil for your skin and hair, make sure to purchase a high-quality oil and, as mentioned above, test it out in a small area before you use it on a larger area of skin or hair.